Our Story for Gateway Domestic Violence Center

Monday, August 1, 2011

Dear Battered Wife,

It's time to tell someone.  Reach out and share what you are going through. Tell a friend, a family member, a counselor, or a volunteer on the other end of a hot line.  Just get it out.

You may be scared of what will happen if you tell your secret.  I'll tell you what's really scary: waiting too long to get help.

Telling someone your secret doesn't mean you have to rush right out the door and leave your partner.  It may not be the right time to leave.  Actually, there is no "right time."  But just sharing your burden with someone who cares will lessen your burden.  It will help you unload some of the weight you've been struggling to carry around. 

There are people who care about you who are willing to help you make a safety plan.  If you don't know who to call, start with the national hot line found at the bottom of this page.  Or, you can leave this website and google Domestic Violence Centers or Battered Women Shelters in your area.  Call them.  Just open your mouth and let the words flow.  No one will judge you.  They will be honored to help you.

The first person I told was a complete stranger.  Miracles began unfolding after I opened my heart and spilled my secrets.  My boss already knew I was in trouble and I got fired from my job as a teacher because my ex husband was stalking me and had left bruises on my neck from where he choked me.  But I just couldn't say the words that I was in trouble and needed help.

The stranger I told ended up helping me rescue myself which took 18 long months to do.  But I did it.  And I am grateful I chose to tell someone.

I know you are doing the best you can.  Lessen your burdens today by telling someone.  Admitting you need help is the first step to being the best you can be.

The National Domestic Violence Hot Line
1 800 799 SAFE (7233)
Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

If you have been blessed to live a life without violence, please support your local Women's Shelter.  In these hard economic times, these nonprofit organizations need your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment